Saturday 15 June 2019

Annie Jacobsen on Operation Paperclip

Operation Paperclip was a programme to recruit German scientists and engineers at the end of World War II. See Jacobson's book Operation Paperclip.


This explains something very strange that I noticed when I visited the Deutsches Museum in Munich around 2004. There was hardly any mention of German technology developed during World War II. To me, that seemed like a museum of industrial technology that made no mention of any technology developed during the Industrial Revolution. It was bizarre, to say the least. At the time I thought it had a psychological explanation. I now see that the real reason was more prosaic than that. If you want to see exhibits of German technology, go to an American museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment